Pages

Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Reflections on Emerging Womanhood

My oldest daughter Joy is approaching thirteen years of age. It is a bittersweet time for me as her mother. I miss the "little girl" things she used to do, but am enjoying so much this new relationship of a budding young woman. I am so thankful for that girl. She is such a big helper to me, especially now that her father is gone. She is the one who helps to clean up the kitchen, take out the trash, make oatmeal for the little ones if I have had a hard night and didn't sleep well, and the list goes on! She is becoming a woman right before my eyes.
She still has the playfulness of a child too. She loves to run, jump, climb with the best of them. She is beginning to care about her appearance more before she leaves the home, but doesn't "fuss" over it. I like that. There is a proper balance when growing up to be more concerned about your appearance, but not so much that you become vain and focus too much on the "outside" rather than developing the godly character on the inside that matters most eternally.
We spend a little time in the evenings together after the little ones go to bed and it is so refreshing to hear her talk about wanting to be a godly, feminine woman. She decided long ago to dress in just dresses before I ever did! And though we do not in any way believe wearing pants is a sin, Joy has always wanted to set herself apart to be different in the world. She wanted to be an example of feminity in a world where so many woman dress immodestly to get noticed in the wrong way. I thank God for that. I pray she always embraces the calling that God has placed on her life.

Joy is my crafter. She is the creative juice running through the family. She has convinced me to take a quilting class with her! And although I may never do as well as she does, it is a special treat to do something like this together. And as we learn this new skill, I am learning so much more. I am learning how precious this time is. I am learning to relish this new season in our lives. I am so enjoying talking about Biblical things with her on an adult level and seeing how that excites her. Sometimes we enjoy some of my favorite movies together, "Pride and Prejudice" and "North and South." And as I look across the room at her, I see more and more the light of this new woman illuminating my life and less and less of the little girl that won my heart more than twelve years ago. She will always have my heart, but just now, she begins to forge a new relationship...one of a best friend as well as a daughter. What a blessing children are!
"Behold, children are a heritage from the LORD, the fruit of the womb a reward.
Like arrows in the hand of a warrior are the children of one's youth.
Blessed is the man who fills his quiver with them!
He shall not be put to shame when he speaks with his enemies in the gate."
Psalm 127:3-5


No comments: