Pages

Thursday, July 16, 2009

My Wonderful Husband

Well, here he is. In the desert of Afghanistan, far away from those that love him terribly, yet always managing to take part of my heart with him wherever he goes. I love this man. My whole being aches when he is away from me. I count months, weeks, and days, always trying to encourage myself that the time is getting shorter and his homecoming closer. I know that with my head....but my heart keeps longing to see him now, today, this very minute and it is hard to keep it consoled. What do I love about this man? Well, in one word, everything. What do I miss about him? Well, same word, EVERYTHING. At times I think I should pinch myself to see if this is all a dream...that someone so wonderful would partly belong to me. God is indeed a giver of great and wonderful gifts...and His mercy gives them to the most unlikely recipients. I feel that way about my husband. And I feel that way about my God. One of the things I love most about my husband is his undying commitment to me. In a world where people take commitments so lightly, he has chosen to love me through it all. Have we had difficult times in our marriage? Sure we have...doesn't every married couple if they stay married long enough? But, he has told me that love is not a feeling, but a commitment and that he has commited to love me. I have made the same commitment to him. I know in our society that probably sounds so very unromantic. But, I believe it is just that commitment to our God and to each other that has also kept those "feelings" of love alive for us. I can truly say that I love this man more today than the day I married him...and I truly didn't think that was possible. So, I continue to wait and pray and thank God for keeping him safe. I never get used to being without him, and it never gets easier. It is just one of those things in life that God has ordained and as His child it is not my place to be kicking and screaming back to my Father at what He has done. I do not always understand His ways, but I trust them...and it is only that which keeps my sanity during this trying time. I think of how much I anticipate the return of my husband. My whole life revolves around his homecoming. I long so to see him desperately. It convicts me when I think of how I should always be looking for my Savior's return with the same longing. May He give me that same zeal always for His return!

1 comment:

Gail said...

what a sweet tribute!