Pages

Friday, January 2, 2009

What will your resolution be for 2009?

With the coming of a new year, there are always resolutions being made. I bet Genesis is probably the most read book of the Bible just because of the amount of people that start out with the resolve to read their Bible through in a year, but never quite get past Genesis. I know all about that. I did that many times myself. Then one day, I realized that if I don't finish reading it through in a year, that doesn't make me a failure. It is not how much of the Bible I get into...but how much of the Bible gets into me. The key is not to have your list and check it off...but to keep on diligently reaching for that goal. I have some resolutions for 2009. One of them is to lose about 15 pounds that have been my nemesis ever since I had Julia. I have been battling that one for almost three years now. I have found out some things about myself in the last few years that have not been pleasant. I eat for comfort. If I am stressed or depressed, I have a tendency to find comfort in food. I don't like that. Mainly because as a Christian nothing should control me but Christ. I should never seek any other solace but Him. So, I have resolved to lose those unwanted pounds. I will let you know how I do. :) But, beyond that, my biggest resolve this year is to draw closer to my Lord. I feel as though I have lost my first love. I know that I am a Christian. It is simply that so much of life has taken the beauty and freshness of my Christian life from me. I need to spend more time with the One who matters most. It is hard sometimes with five children and the demands of homeschooling and so many other things to find the time. Sometimes I creep out of bed early to meet with my Lord and it is like my youngest children have Mommy radar attached to them! Then, the tasks of the day become ever and always more and more urgent and bedtime comes without any real quality time with Christ. I have a life verse that I feel God has given me. It is Philippians 3:10 ..."that I may know Him and the power of His resurrection, being made conformable unto His death." But, this year, I prayed that God would give me a verse for 2009. He led me to Zechariah. The fact that it was Zechariah was a confirmation to me because I rarely go there of my own accord. The verse He gave me was Zechariah 1:3 "...Thus declares the LORD of hosts: Return to me, says the LORD of hosts, and I will return to you, says the LORD of hosts." Then to follow that Zechariah 4:6"...not by might, nor by power, but by my Spirit says the Lord of hosts." So often I try to find God in my own strength, with my own list of things to check off the box, but that is not how He will be found. For those of you who may feel like you too need refreshing waters of God's Spirit this year, to see Him once again as you did when you were first saved, to view Him as your first love, to long to be with Him as the deer pants for the water brooks, resolve with me to seek Him more, to love Him better, to be like Mary waiting at His feet for refreshment and just like He says in Zechariah, "Return to me...and I will return to you."
Looking for His refreshing waters,
Jackie

No comments: