Pages

Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Weighing In

Well, I told you that I would let you know how my resolution of losing weight was going. So far, I have lost two pounds. Doesn't sound like a lot, but with a little patience and determination, they can add up. :) I have never been really good at "dieting." I find that with a diet, it is so easy to revert back to what you were doing before you lost the weight. Then, before you know it...there you are looking at yourself in the mirror wondering how all the extra pounds managed to creep in! With me, it has to be a lifestyle change. I did have this lifestyle change before...when Jonathan was attending seminary. And I must admit, that time in my life, I felt the best I had ever felt. But, stress, pregnancies, moves...it was easy to revert back to my "comfort foods." And although I never got to the place where I was extremely overweight, I did suffer from repeated sinusitis, migraine headaches, incredible joint pain...and the list goes on. So, it is with that in mind...and the fact that my energy has been sapped lately, that I have decided that losing weight is secondary...eating better and getting back my energy is the primary goal. It is amazing how easy it is to fall into the habit of "living to eat" rather than "eating to live." I have religiously monitored my children's diet and have seen incredible results as far as their health...but it was always easy for Mom to sneak something here and there that was totally bad for me! Talk about hypocritical! So, I have come to the conclusion that God has a lot to say even in the way we feed our bodies. If our body truly is the temple of the Lord, doesn't it make sense that what we put in that temple matters as well? So, I am taking small steps forward to a healthier lifestyle. No white flour, no refined white sugar (that's a tough one), very little red meat, more fruits and vegetables...etc. No soda's... (ouch! I'm gonna miss those Mountain Dew's)...and I'm in the process of gradually weaning myself off of caffeine. I tried to do that one time cold turkey and I thought I was going to go to the ER my migraine was so severe. That should have clued me in right there about my body's reaction to caffeine, but once again...I found myself justifying that I needed that to get going in the morning. How much better to give yourself natural vitamins and minerals to give that energy boost? So, even though I am eating better right now...I am feeling worse. My body is beginning to go through a detox...and for anyone who knows what that is like...just pray for me! It takes a while to break your body down...and it takes a while to build it back up. I am in the building stage. So, I will keep you informed about my successes and failures along the way. :) Now, on to the things you really want to see...PICTURES!


Since we have boys...they are constantly wanting to play some kind of battle. This is the sign up station for joining the ranks of defending the Alamo. Disclaimer: Although you see girls dressed in Army attire...we do not agree with women in the military. They agreed to serve the fighting men by being cooks and nurses! :)



Here they are at the Alamo fort. (really the boy's room, but don't tell them!)

This is their Grammy Poppa (Jonathan's Dad). Jon's parents came and visited us after Christmas and we had a wonderful time with them. Here Grammy Poppa has enlisted and he looks like Davy Crockett. Julia calls him "Clickett."


And this is a picture of the kids with Grammy and Grammy Poppa during their visit. Until next time, I pray you have a great day in Christ!

No comments: