Pages

Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Waiting on Joy!

It's been a few days since I've posted...mainly because the sickness that I thought was about over, turned out to be much worse than expected. Julia ended up going into respiratory distress one evening and had to be given steroids. I really do not like that medicine. But, when it comes to breathing, or not breathing, I am really not given much choice. Josiah and Joel both ended up needing breathing treatments for their coughs which just seemed to want to hang on. We still have coughs throughout the night, but I am praying we have seen the worst of it. I know other military wives that have said..."It just seems like everything goes wrong when husband's are away." My first deployment sure seemed like that. I just figured...well, maybe that was just a unique circumstance. However, this deployment is starting out like much of the same. The first night my husband was gone...my Mom spent the night with us. She parked behind me and when she got up to start her car...it was dead. We thought we would have to get a tow truck, but I went out and sat in the car and cried out to God...please Lord, let this car start just to allow her to get a new battery. After several attempts...it started.

Since he has been gone, the little ones disobedient level has skyrocketed! I understand the reason...it is just hard to handle it alone. Then, we get the worst sickness we have had in almost a year. Our oven is going bad on us. The microwave is acting up. And just the other day I go to turn on the TV...dead! Completely dead! We do not have cable, but use it mainly for educational videos, or family viewing DVDs. Then there is the problem with the phone and internet service that I am experiencing.
To add to the situation...I do not like spiders! My spider killer is in the desert. I have found the two biggest spiders I have seen in a LONG time in our house. Who is left to kill the big guys? Yep...me...the arachnophobia queen! Then there was the wasp that got into our house that I had to kill...and the bee. Oh, and of course since I have told the children the great value of bees for their pollination purposes, they begged me not to kill it. So, here I am gingerly trying to get a bee with a paper towel...lightly enough to not kill it, but strong enough to keep it from getting loose and stinging the lady it felt was its enemy...while trying to get it outside. You will be happy to know that it is safe in the outdoors and I am without injury! Looking back on it, it was probably quite comical.

Why is all this happening now? I don't know. I told my husband...you know...if everything went smoothly this whole year, just dealing with being without you would be enough to handle. Just being chief cook, nurse, chauffeur, comforter, teacher, laundress, mediator, spiritual leader, bug killer, (Yuck, I don't like that one!), gardener, accountant, maid, organizer,etc. would be quite enough to keep one busy. But, add the sleepless nights...appliances needing to be taken to the appliance graveyard, constant bickering...it gets quite taxing at times. Why is all this happening? I have no idea. But, I do know that God does not always tell me His reasons for things. In Isaiah 55:8-9 the LORD says, "For My thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways My ways, declares the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are My ways higher than your ways, and My thoughts than your thoughts." And then there is the promise in Romans 8:28, "And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to His purpose."


No, I don't know why all these things are happening. But I know that He does. I know that He loves me. I know that somehow He will work all this for His good. And whatever He does is good. I love the line of a song that says, "When you can't see His hand, trust His heart." So true! When we are in the midst of sorrow, physical pain, sleepless nights, seemingly one trial after another, at our wits end...we rest in the fact that we have a heavenly Father who knows our pain, our sorrow, our trials...and that He went before us in all of these circumstances. He upholds us. And He will make us more than conquerors in the end. When everything else seems to be falling apart, I rest in knowing that there is a God who holds me closest during these times...whether I "feel" it or not.

Psalm 30:5, "Weeping may tarry for the night, but joy comes with the morning."




2 comments:

Trishia said...

Joy will come, someday! Sometimes I think God just lets us go through crazy times like you are now just so we can look back and laugh, and appreciate how good we've got it now, on the other side. On the upside, having new appliances is fun, right? :-D I hope all your kiddos are feeling better soon!

His bondservant said...

Trishia,

Thanks for you encouraging words. It is always nice to know people are out there that sympathize. And, the kiddos are feeling some better. We still have the yucky coughs wanting to hang on...but those are always the last thing to go for us! But, no more breathing treatments going on. Praising God for that one!