Pages

Sunday, November 18, 2012

Finding My Way


It has been a little over two months since we have moved and I am still staring at boxes in our garage and bonus room.  We are slowly working our way into our new home, creating a new fabric for the day to day rhythm of our lives.  Being a military spouse has taught me so very much about working with constant change.  We change houses, churches, doctors, hairdressers, our favorite places to shop, grocery stores and all the things we can no longer find…or things we can finally get now…vets, piano teachers, homeschool groups, sewing teachers and yes, even friends.  We always keep the old friends, but must become accustomed to not seeing them regularly and finding new ones.  That is one of the hardest things about moving.  Sometimes it seems like friends are plentiful in some places, sparse in others…just another indication of a new season in one's life.

As much as I dreaded Oklahoma…and believe me, I did!  I am learning that my Father in Heaven has His beauty everywhere, despite the myriad of scorpions that I find in my home!  The sunsets here are beautiful and the crazy wind?  Well, who would have thought?  My children love it here!  There are birds that we see here almost on a daily basis that I never saw back east…like a great blue heron and a lovely osprey that fishes in the pond behind our yard.  There are coyotes serenading us some evenings…that I must say is not quite a thrilling!

And as much as I have always wanted to stay put in my own home…planting fruit trees that I can watch grow with the passing of each year, painting scriptures and small pictures on my walls, etc., God continues to show me that I am only passing through.  This military life gives me a true taste of the pilgrimage.  Life is so very short.  Children grow up so quickly.  Soon, I will be staring at the empty nest years and I will long for these transient days when we were all together.  What really matters is that we have each other and more importantly, we have the Lord.  Everything else is a far second from that fact.  And although my children will never remember their childhood home like most children…I pray they remember the love that went with them everywhere they lived.  And I hope they take away the thought of blooming where God plants them…no matter where that is.  

3 comments:

Cheesemakin' Mamma said...

We're reading the Little House series and you remind me of Ma. Content to follow her husband and always looking at the positive (even if she was living in a dugout). I'm so glad you are finding the good in where God has placed you.

Camille said...

Beautiful post my friend. What a blessing you are to your family! I am sure your children will grow up knowing they are loved and will take that with them into their own homes. How challenging the changes are for military families...what a lovely thing it is that you are embracing it all with the LORD each step of the way! HE does indeed give grace and strength, and HE leads us so gently along. Your photos are beautiful. And...that sunset!! Glorious!! Scorpions?? Not so much. :)

Love to you!
Camille

Sweet Magnolias Farm said...

Thanks so much for stopping by our blog. I'm so thrilled you found us on Pinterest and took the time to visit our blog and leave a comment.

It looks like you have had quite a journey this last year with your move and a changing of the seasons in your lives. May God abundantly bless you in your new home and in your new state. We have moved many times and we are not even military but I understand the feelingof the excitement and the dread both mixed together.

Have a Lovely weekend ..Blessings ..Sara