Pages

Friday, January 6, 2012

Starting Off a New Year

I always enjoy the freshness of a new year.  I am a goal-driven person, so making lists and goals at the start of a new year is something I enjoy.  Even if I do not accomplish all the goals that I laid out for that year, I always accomplish more than I would if I have never formulated a plan.  I would like to share some of the goals I have been praying and planning about.

I like to pray about a special verse to apply to me personally during the coming year.  This year it is John 3:30, "He must increase, but I must decrease."  So many times I have found myself fighting in my own strength…running on my own energy…making my own plans, and never fully giving those things over to the Lord.  He knows what He wants of me.  He knows where my focus should be.  Christ is the One who should be governing my every step.  I want to wake up every morning and say, "Lord, this is your day…your schedule…do with it as you will."  And then, I want to take every bump in the road, and every blessing that comes my way as the movement of a Sovereign God who only desires the best for me.  For me to do that…He must increase, but I must decrease. 

Time is so short and so precious.  We will never get this day back.  Did we live it for His glory?  If we are given tomorrow, what will we do with it?  

I would encourage you to pray about what the Lord might have you do differently this year and begin working toward that plan.  I have many things still ruminating in my mind and heart, but I thought I would share a few with you.  One of the first things I do is make a reading list for the year.  There are so many wonderful books out there.  If you are interested in my reading list this year, you can find it here.

Some of the other goals on my list this year:

1.  Complete three courses toward my Master Herbalist degree.
2.  At LEAST a once a month date night with my husband.  (Hopefully we will get that up a little higher before the year is through)!
3.  Consistent one on one time with my children.
4.  Memorize more scripture.
5.  Develop a more thankful heart.
6.  More consistent read aloud times with the family.
7.  Develop reading lists for my individual children.
8.  Incorporate new healthy recipes.
9.  Begin dejunking before our upcoming move after summer.
10. Organize closets and drawers.
11. Work on scrapbooking more often.
12.  Blog 2 to 3 times a week.

These are just a few of the areas I plan to work toward this year.  But, I have also laid this plan before the Lord to change or redirect in any way He sees fit.  After all, a plan without Christ at the center is not worth doing anyway.  

How is the Lord leading you this new year?  I pray that whatever it is, you will be blessed beyond measure.  May you seek Him more this year!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

"He must increase, but I must decrease." I think that needs to be my mantra for not only this year, but every year that I am living upon this earth.

I liked your organized plan and lists of goals for the New Year. I try to make my lists "short," for I don't want to set myself up for disaster or failure. I like the idea of you taking your lists to the Lord and being willing to be flexible if He decides to make changes along the wise. That's very wise.

Oh, this has NOTHING to do with this post, but I just wanted to say that we bought the "Gospel Centered Marriages for a Glorifying Church" conference CD's last month. We've heard the first two lectures, and have been very inspired by their words! We're looking forward to future listenings. :)

Anyway, I'm sorry this post is so long. Thank you for stopping by my blog before the year ended. It's always nice to hear from you. I'm sorry it's taken me awhile to get over to "visit" you.

Blessings,

-M. Wildflower

His bondservant said...

So glad you got the CD's and that you are enjoying them! And thank you for visiting….whenever you can stop by. I totally understand about getting busy. I have been a negligent blogger as of late!

Warmly,
Jackie

Chelle said...

Great post. What is a masters degree in herbs. I would like to do that. Please let me know where I can get more info. I love the verse you chose. I need to put it in practice.

Alice said...

Master herbalist? Cool!

I would like to do that:)

tina said...

Great ideas! Thank-you!

Joy Liz said...

Great post Mom! I love the verse you chose for this year. Your goals are wonderful. Love you, Joy

Trisha said...

Great list, Jackie, Please share what you think of the books you'll be reading. I enjoyed Large Family Logistics and found it very helpful and encouraging. It's one I'll go back to again and again. Love and hugs to you, my sweet friend!

Camille said...

What a great list you have thought through Jackie! I like the New Year as well...it's much better than September! :) May the LORD bless you in your pursuit of HIM and may HE give you daily the wisdom and grace you need to follow where HE leads.

Many rich blessings to you my friend!

In HIM,
Camille