Pages

Monday, April 26, 2010

Spring Cleaning and New Discovery

For those of you that don't already know this, we rent the home where we are currently living.  When we moved in to this house, there were many things that caused us to choose this home for the family.  It has a beautiful fenced backyard.  It is in a safe and established neighborhood in the city.  It is convenient to most everything.  The neighborhood is very quiet and peaceful, and it is just a little under 2 miles from my mother's house.  However, there were some issues about the home that were not so pleasant.  This picture above is one of them.  The house is older, so it desperately needs some work and updating in many areas.  The bathrooms are a prime example.
I had tried and tried to scrub this grout when cleaning the floor before.  We try to stay clear of toxic cleaners, but I even brought out the big guns...BLEACH!  I poured it on, left it to get squeaky clean, came back and scrubbed and still this is what I was left to see.  I since have found a miraculous solution for cleaning grout.  Would you believe...baking soda, water and a good hard toothbrush?  The next picture shows the difference with a small section that I cleaned this way.  So, if you have some problems with grout looking dingy...try the baking soda solution. Make yourself a paste, put in on the area you wish to clean and scrub away.  If you still have some problems, try mixing the baking soda with vinegar as well as the water.  This should also help get rid of the mildew that tends to build-up.  But watch out...vinegar and baking soda really bubble up.  In fact, we used that same combination to simulate a volcano for science!!  So, go sparingly on the vinegar until you get the right combination.
Ah, it looks like a new floor doesn't it?  And what a relief to know it can be done beautifully with a natural, non-toxic cleaner.  So, in a way, I am getting my new bathroom after all!  God bless, until next time!

3 comments:

Stacie, A Firefighter's Wife said...

My sis made me some Non-toxic Comet. I love it! Baking soda and Borax. Also, mixing baking soda with vineger is great!

I'm so glad she introduced me to non-toxic cleaner.

When my house cleaner comes over, she says that my stuff works better than her other clients store bought stuff and it doesn't hurt her hands.

It is also so cheap!

Camille said...

Wow looks great Jackie!! You must be so pleased!! AND I am a BIG baking soda and vinegar girl...there is not much that can't be solved with it! I use vinegar for the final rinse in our laundry to get the soap out...really works and is a natural fabric softener. Just one example of it's many uses.

Have a wonderful day!
Love,
Camille

Cheesemakin' Mamma said...

Looks great! My grandma was the first to tell me about baking soda when I couldn't figure out how to get my stove top clean. I've been using it ever since and it doesn't surprise me that it works on grout too. Thanks for the tip!