Pages

Saturday, March 16, 2013

Perspective Matters

There's a lovely spot in our part of Oklahoma called Mt. Scott.  If you drive all the way to the top, you can see for miles unobstructed.  It is a breathtaking view.  I can learn all over again that God's beauty is everywhere, if we only have eyes to see it.  It is amazing how small everything looks from that elevation.  It reminds me that perspective truly does matter.  Those man made objects that we live, work and breathe around every single day suddenly become minuscule and trite from this height.  Isn't that also true of our lives as Christians?

It is easy to only focus on the pressures breathing down on us every day, whether that is the drivenness of our schedules, or a particular trial we find ourselves facing.  It is not until we rise above it and begin to view things from God's perspective that we can truly breathe deeply and find peace.  Perspective does matter.  I am reminded of the story of Elisha and his servant in the Bible. In 2 Kings 6, the king of Aram sends an army to defeat one man, Elisha.  Elisha's servant sees the army and in fear asks Elisha, "What shall we do?"  That is when Elisha prays for his servant's eyes to be opened and Elisha says, "Do not be afraid, for those who are with us are more than those who are with them."

 
Perspective matters.  Elisha's servant was living in the situation; Elisha rose above that situation and was living in the protective hand of Almighty God.  I wish I could tell you that I rise above every situation and seat myself beside God and look from His perspective.  But, part of living this Christian life is honesty with one another.  I so often am like the servant of Elisha…seeing my circumstances, living below the abundant life that God has called me to live, listening to the lies of the enemy that things will never get better, this is how it will always be, there is no such thing as abundant living.
But praise God He is teaching me that perspective matters, and I am more and more able to rise above and rest in the protective hand of my Father.  It is not that God looks down and sees how minuscule things in my life are.  It is that God looks down and loves me so much that He knows that even though these things are little to Him, they are big to me and He loves me enough to carry the burden, to put me on His shoulders and let me see these things from His perspective.  And it is at that moment that I breathe deeply, take in the view, and rest under His shadow.  There is no better place to be.  Yes, perspective matters and I am thankful I have a Father who loves me enough to show me the big picture.  

2 comments:

Camille said...

YES!! Perspective does matter!! How precious it is to remind ourselves of our position in our LORD...we are in the best place ever when we are in HIS hands!!

Love to you!
Camille

P.S. It's good to have you back, my friend. :)

His bondservant said...

Thanks so much Camille and thanks for checking up on me! God bless you!