Pages

Tuesday, March 17, 2009

A Favorite Family Recipe

One way to return more to a simple lifestyle is to begin to make more of your meals from scratch. I didn't originally begin cooking more from scratch as a statement on simple living as much as seeing the need for a more healthy lifestyle. Three of my children have had real health issues and we feel eating differently was one way the Lord led us to help make them healthier. This does not mean that we can't enjoy faithful standbys (like pizza), but it does mean the convenience of calling it in and picking it up or having it delivered in about 30 minutes is over! But, after cooking healthy pizza, I prefer it hands down to what we used to get with Pizza Hut and Domino's. So, here goes our recipe for pizza: (This recipe is based on the Zorjirushi Bread Recipe from the Breadbecker's cookbook).

1 1/2 cups hot water
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 egg
2tsp. sea salt, or mineral salt
4 1/2 cups freshly milled wheat flour (I combine hard red and hard white)
1 Tbs. SAF yeast

In my mixer, I combine water, egg and salt and begin mixing on low speed. Add 2 cups of the wheat flour and mix thoroughly. Add the yeast. Once that has been distributed, add the rest of the flour. Add one cup at a time so you will get a consistency of dough that begins to pull away from the side of the bowl when you pull the roller away. (I am basing this on my Electrolux mixer). Once the dough begins to pull away, put the arm about 1 to 2 inches from the side of the bowl and lock it into place. Then turn the speed on high and knead for about 7 minutes. Once it has kneaded, take it out of the bowl and divide the dough in half. Keep some extra flour on hand and put some on a pastry roller to form your pizza crust. Grease two cooking stones and shape dough into pizza shape.


We like to go around the edges with the small roller end and then use the larger one to spread the dough around the stone.

While you allow the dough to sit, prepare your sauce. I try to use organic tomato sauce and add italian seasonings, salt, herbs, even freshly grated parmesan cheese to the sauce. You use whatever your family prefers in the tomato sauce. I also like to put sauteed chicken on the pizza dough. I prepare my chicken earlier and season it with lemon pepper, salt and some Jamaican Jerk Rub from Pampered Chef. Divide the sauce between the pizzas and spread on the dough. Then place small bits of chicken on top of the sauce. I then grate Organic Raw Milk Cheddar Cheese on top of each pizza. I use 8 ounces of cheese for each pizza. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and bake for 20 to 25 minutes. Some of my children can be picky eaters, so we try to keep the ingredients to a minimum. However, the sky is the limit here...put fresh tomatoes, mushrooms, onions, etc. whatever you like. It is well worth it!


Yummy! It is work, but it is well worth it. I love the fact that I can make meals from scratch and give my family the benefits of the healthy meals. Give homemade pizza a try...you may never want to go back to the fast food type again!

No comments: